Wednesday, November 5, 2008

How could you?

For all of the deserving cries of "Yes, we did" and "Yes, we can", I am crippled by the question "How could you, California? How could you?"

You've broken my heart before, California, but it's been years since then. And I thought maybe you had grown up, maybe you wouldn't be a school bully this time. But as of this moment, 52% of you are. You looked at one sentence and decided that it was okay to take away a person's right to marry whomever they choose. You might have voted for a presidential candidate of hope, but you turned and voted elsewhere out of fear. How could you? I can't defend you. I can't say, "Gosh, I'm happy I'm a Californian" because of you. Instead, I'm sitting here asking "Why can't I be from Massachusetts? Why can't I be proud of my home? How can you let so many people down?"

I just don't get it.

No comments: