Thursday, January 1, 2009

a summary of things

On the first night of the new year, I feel I can safely say these things:

1) I was most disappointed by of Montreal in 2008. I love them, and I will get beyond this whole disappointment bit, but I like two songs on Skeletal Lamping, while I loved all of Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?.* My hopes were probably just too high. I could end up loving it in two months, you never know.

2) The Stills continued their streak of not living up to Logic Will Break Your Heart. I've only started listening to Logic... again, because before the third album, Logic... did break my heart** because all I had was the very subpar second album. Fortunately, Oceans Will Rise came along, but it's still not what they could be.

3) The new TV shows were generally boring. Right now, I just want new episodes of How I Met Your Mother. If you had told me three years ago that this show would become the highlight of my week, I wouldn't have believed you, but then all of the cast members stepped up to what Neil Patrick Harris was offering, and then the show became perfect. (Especially without Stella.) Although, now Friday Night Lights, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost are coming back, and they are formidable competition.

4) I use Hulu mainly to watch episodes of Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I know, I'm a weirdo.

5) Neko Case needs to come out with a new album. I feel I've waited patiently, but since the Pixies sort of got back together, my patience isn't what it was in 2000 and there was no hope.

6) The albums that apparently defined my 2008 were: Sunset Rubdown's Random Spirit Lover (which was a 2007 album, but it is what I wake up to everyday), Kate Nash's Made of Bricks (I didn't find it until 2008), Portishead's Third, and Alaska in Winter's Dance Party in the Balkans.

And this became an unintentional entertainment summary. Otherwise, it was sort of a boring year. I turned 30 in Yorkshire. I became a supervisor for the first time. And I seriously considered buying house only to watch the country's financial stability crumble. Maybe I'll be a homeowner by the end of 2010.

Oh, I was also obsessed with the Twilight books, but then that faded and now I'm all about Y: The Last Man.


*When an title ends in a punctuation mark and the title appears at the end of a sentence, should the sentence get an extra punctuation?
**Pun so not at all intentioned.

No comments: