Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Here is my rather sad confession:

In spite of loving the purpose of the magazine, I feel myself slipping as a believer. The last issue of Interweave Crochet struck me as barely inspiring and now the new issue has left me with only really liking one of the designs offered, and that one design is a pair of socks. There is another design that I don't dislike, but I would never wear it and I don't know anyone who would. So, I'm in that precarious position where I'm not sure that I believe in the choices made by the magazine and might therefore not buy this issue. And this is the exact reason I never got around to ordering a subscription. What's the point in owning a magazine I don't really like anymore? It's sort of like what happened to Jane after a couple of years, which is another reason why I've never gotten around to Bust (I'm afraid that once I commit, it will abandon me).

Which leads me to something bigger:

It's not that I'm falling out of love with Ravelry, it's that I'm falling out of love with the forums. I love the purpose of the forums, but with the various battles, various cliques, and general lack of relevance to me and mine, I just can't stay there for very long. But then, I go through this falling out of love bit quite often, so clearly my attention span is wanting. And yet, I continue to update my projects. Ravelry is becoming my record. It will be my source of what I've actually done over the course of time when my sister taunts me with how many books she has read.

And something cheery:

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day is an absolutely lovely movie. And I'm not saying this because I love Ciaran Hinds and Less Pace or because I think Frances McDormand and Amy Adams are fabulous, or because Mark Strong is convincing me that he is rather attractive. I say this is all objectivity. If I could go and see a movie right now, it would be that movie.

1 comment:

Lara Croft said...

Phew, I'm the lucky one! I think all crochet and all knit magazines contain about the same ratio of cool patterns to kinda boring ones. Like, in any given mag you might find one or perhaps 2 that really turn on your lights. But am I ever glad mine was that one for you!!!